Sunday, November 29, 2009

The Great Thanksgiving Do Over



So, there I was, minding my own business, packing for my next business trip and trying to eat down the perishables in the refrigerator before I left. The meals were getting more and more spartan. And then my daughter called and invited me to The Great Thanksgiving Do Over.

She had spent Thanksgiving with her husband's family in Memphis. And the cousin hosting the dinner bailed on the traditional meal (which he had never hosted nor cooked before). Instead he had a shish ka-bob grilling party in the garage. Except he had never made shish-ka-bobs before either.

The whole experience did to her what it does to any good cook -- it made her want to come home and cook something better. So she came home and did just that.

We had:

Pork tenderloin rubbed with bloody mary mix
Turnip and potato puree so creamy and tender it jumped up and kissed you
Fresh green beans with bacon
Red leaf salad with diced carrots
Sage dressing
Horseradish sauce
Homemade scones

The Pastry Goddess bats perfection once again.

Said business trip, back to Washington, DC, will take me out of pocket till next Friday. Talk among yourselves till then. Will try to post some photos next week. It's a great town for photography.

Peace,

Janelle

No comments: